Background – Paul, soldiers, sailors and ship adrift in a storm.
Vs 14 wind from island
Vs 19 the 3rd day , tackle overboard
Wind off 7000 ft mountains to the water….
Ship in storm : https://youtu.be/UG6FhK96dBg
27 Vs. 20 “When neither sun nor stars appeared for many days and the storm continued raging, we finally gave up all hope of being saved. “
Vs. 21. Should have listened
Vs 22 keep up your courage. ( gonna get a 2nd chance to listen )
Vs 23 “ messenger” angel of God
Hebrews 1:14 “ are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation “
How are they SERVING Paul?
Vs 24 Don’t be afraid…
Matthew 14:27 “But Jesus immediately said to them: “Take courage! It is I. Don’t
be afraid.” ( in midst of storm )
( and behold ( NASB) God has granted….)
Why? Answer to prayer?? !! See vs 27:10 ( our lives )
– can easily imagine Paul praying for those SOULS onboard w/ him
– 23:11 Paul is assured HE will be witnessing in Rome….. but what about the
rest of those on the ship?
( again ) – vs 24 don’t be afraid… he is reminded of God’s plan for him AND has an answer – given the lives of the passengers as well….
… Attempts at saving…
– Paul … from the hands of Jews “appeal to Caesar “
– sailors drag anchors) vs 17
– (let down life boats) vs 30
– cut away life boats on Paul’s word ( 31-32)
– ( kill prisoners, save selves) vs 42
– assumed prisoners would escape
– Centurion ( wanting to spare Paul’s life….) Vs 43
– Paul’s advice
Vs 10 – dont sail further
( centurion listened to pilot )
Vs 22 2nd time – take courage / Angel
Vs 33 eat
35 “ took bread and broke it … leftovers vs 38 !!!!! ( Luke 9:16-17 )
– Centurion ( wanting to spare Paul )
– God – graciously gave lives to Paul
A lesson in saving and reliance